Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Get Your Paperwork In Order

I've just returned from a tour in Japan which was a great experience. I actually spend about 60% of my time working abroad. A lot of musicians and artists express the desire to work in Europe or Asia but seem to think that it is hard to do. All you have to do is to begin to look at the entire world as a potential market and get your paperwork in order. Before you can leave the country you must have a passport. You can go to the post office to fill out the application. In this area you will more than likely deal with the New Orleans Passport Authority. The process is very simple and the people at the post office will walk you through it step by step. You can have your passport pictures made at Walgreens, Fed Ex or Kinkos. The passport fee is about $120.00 and about $200.00 to have it expedited. Those prices may vary, just check with the post office. Once you have a passport, you may have to have a visa or work permit depending on the country you are planning to work in. My advice to you is to always get the proper paperwork for each situation. Don't go into a country as a visitor knowing that you are going there to work. You leave yourself open for too many bad things to happen. Having your passport also shows that you are serious about pursuing your career world wide. Having a passport should be as important as having a driver's licence or social security card. The international market is booming and the opportunities are vast in terms of marketing your own music and playing the various festivals and concerts that go on year round. The European musical taste is usually a bit more diverse and their appreciation for individuality makes for a great chance to build a larger worldwide fan base. Remember this is the music business and there is business to do all over the world so make sure you have your paperwork in order. Go get your process started right now!

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment