Thursday, December 16, 2010

Getting To The Next Level

One of the most important things in this business is growth. A lot of us talk a lot about what we want and where we want to be but what are we REALLY doing to get to the next level? Now, this next level is always relative because it's not the same for everyone being that we are all in different places in our careers. Most of us truly have a fear of change, progress and success. Yes I did say a fear of success. We all know, for the most part, what we should be doing to push our careers to the next level but, due to comfort, we simply make excuses for why this just isn't the time or if I only had this or that. The bottom line is deciding what you want and never allowing yourself to become too comfortable at any stage. Once you've achieved what you want at one level, move on to the next goal. For instance, I've been touring with Little Richard for sixteen years. This has afforded me the opportunity to perform all over the world via T.V. shows and concerts. I've made connections and built relationships at many levels. There was a time when we were so busy with Richard that I didn't have time for much else but I was always aware that the day would come when his work would slow down and I would have to be prepared for the next stage of my career. So I've always been working on developing and branding myself. I mean I didn't want to end up being a guy that says I used to play with such and such but now I'm just gigging around this small town sharing stories of the glory days. LOL! Don't get me wrong, I still do my share of local and regional shows but I will only work with people who's vision lines up with mine. I am constantly looking for opportunities that will keep me in the thick of the industry via production as well as national and international touring. And believe me, it is a grind but I can't allow myself to be too comfortable. The key to moving to the next level is not being stagnant. You have to keep reinventing yourself and providing new challenges and don't try to measure up against anyone else. Just set your path and run YOUR race. Remember moving to the next level has to be a constant mind set so that daily you are manifesting your move by your thoughts and actions. Don't just talk about it....DO IT! YOUR next level awaits you so go get it.

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment