Monday, October 17, 2011

Educate Yourself

Along with writing my own blog, I read quite a few written by industry pros and the most amazing thing to me is that probably sixty percent or more of the people pursing a career in this industry have no clue. I consult artists and musicians daily and I take for granted that we all know certain basic things. Well I find out everyday that I'm wrong. It is important and vital to educate yourself on this business. I keep saying this is the NEW music business and even though you may think that you know something about copyrights or publishing, if you are not reading the weekly updates and changes that are occurring then you are lost. I recently spoke with an artist on how to get his CD released and he was going on and on about what to do and having money to spend. My advice to him was to just release an Internet single via CD Baby and allow that to help him build a fan base because most people now consume music via Internet downloads/streaming and it is much less expensive to release music in this medium. Now he had no real knowledge of how music is bought or sold on the Internet, even though he spends hours on the Internet everyday. He then says well if you say so because you know about this and I don't. I then tell him that I can help him but he will have to pay for my input. What I am going to do is try to teach him how to help himself by getting him to understand that success in this industry is about education. Those that know or take the time to learn will always be in control. It doesn't cost you anything but time to read and educate yourself. There is so much FREE information available at a keystroke but you have to go find it. The new music industry is about independence. This is a musical and business revolution. This is the time to learn as much as you can so that you can contribute to where this thing is going and not just stand on the sidelines waiting to be told what to do. As an aspiring music business pro you should spend all of your Internet time learning what people like or dislike, how they like to consume music or other products and how you can use this information to your advantage. It's all about creating something that people feel they can't live without. Give them one GREAT experience and they will return for another. Now go study, read and learn all you can about this NEW game. Enjoy the journey.

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment