Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Nerve

It is so amusing to me how we as artists are underestimated and disrespected by the very people that call themselves our representation. Whether it's those in management, legal or publicity, they seem to always think that the artist is ignorant. The nerve of these people! This is not an indictment of all people in management, legal or publicity but if the show fits . . . well you know. It's time that we stop allowing this to occur. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in meetings with people that want to represent me but they really didn't know anything about me. They may have seen me put on a cool show and even though I would make strides to give them BIG picture of my goals, they begin to talk to me as if I'm some new cat with no experience. I guess as I get older my patience for this has just run thin. Most of these people don't even have the experience I have but they want me to spend money with them yet they have not really proven themselves. Yet they expect us as artists to jump through hoops. I understand that nothing in this business really gets done without money to make it flow but I've gotten to the place where I'm done having my intellect insulted by these kinds of people. Respect is paramount. If you truly want us to spend money with you, then show us the respect we deserve by doing the research and understanding who we are. I mean I've spent literally half my life in the recording studio and I'm still in the lab daily so I don't need to sit in front of a management type and have them try to explain pro tools or music quality to me. This to me simply says that they don't respect my experience or they are just ignorant. This is why it is vitally important for us as artists to educate ourselves on ALL facets of the business that have ANYTHING to do with our advancement so that these people can't pull the wool over our eyes and steal our money with promises of this and that and not deliver. When you know the game, you can spot a phony a mile away. And don't get me wrong, there are some really successful phonies out there because they have just been getting over on uneducated naive artists. Let's choose to educate ourselves and make these people rise to the occasion. Enjoy the journey.

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment