Thursday, September 8, 2011

It's Never Too Late

As I celebrate my birthday today I'm reminded of how much of a blessed life I've lead and how the blessings continue to flow. The interesting thing about getting older in the music industry is that no one wants to. (LOL) It sure beats the alternative. In American popular music, you are usually discarded after twenty five and I know a lot of people who subscribe to that system but I beg to differ. A career is developed over a life time and it's never too late. I tour the world with a lot of artists and a few of them are in their seventies. What amazes me about these older guys is that they can put a real whooping on any twenty something artist when it comes to the stage. This is because of their years of experience. You see getting older is a good thing because you get better with age. It's like a fine wine. Especially in today's musical climate, there has never been a better time for older artists to stake their claim. The truth is that for a musician,  you are not really in your prime until you are about in your mid to late thirties or around forty. I was always told this by musicians that were in their sixties and up. The reason is that by forty you have lived, played and worked enough to truly know who you are, what you want, what makes you valuable and how to get what you want. The problem is that for most of us, by the time we figure this all out we think it's too late to act on it so we just settle for whatever life we've made and get old even faster. The key to growing old gracefully is understanding that it's never too late to pursue your passion or to start something new. It's also good to reinvent yourself every now and then as we discussed in a previous blog. So as I celebrate my birthday, my gift to you is to let you know that as long as there is breathe in your body, it's never too late to embrace and pursue your passion. Enjoy the journey.

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment