Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seize The Moment

I usually end all of my posts with,"Enjoy the journey", because I think that it's more about the journey than it is the destination. People often tell me that they understand but there is one key element that they continue to miss. Enjoying the journey is all about seizing the moment. As a musician I really love what I do. After twenty plus years of playing and performing, I still enjoy it as much as I did when I first started. I enjoy it so much that I can't help but smile and emote when I play. My main goal is to support the artist or band I'm playing with to the fullest of my ability. Now what I've noticed is that a large percentage of musicians are just going through the motions. Their is no excitement in their playing and they are not fun to watch because they have lost touch with why we do this. When I play I try to live only in THAT moment. This allows me to free my mind and open myself to all the creative opportunities around me. Living in the moment always me to fully focus on communicating with the musicians I'm on the stage with at that moment to create impromptu beauty. Even though you can rehearse the notes and a show, if you are not putting it ALL on the line every time then you are cheating yourself and your audience. Now I know that we are all different but I believe that everyone has their own "thang" so to speak. Don't try to cope my vibe, find your own and live it each and every time you are on the stage. You should be able to perform at the same level for thirty people that you would for thirty thousand people. It's all about living in the moment. I understand that people can be a bit taken a back by me sometimes because I come to play EVERY time. It doesn't matter what the gig is or what style of music. I'm always there to help create a magical experience for myself and the audience. The feeling I get from being able to divorce myself from all things but what's going on in THAT space is exhilarating and for anyone that doesn't get it, I offer no apologies. So the next time you perform, don't think or focus on ANYTHING but what's going on in your musical space at that moment and watch how much beauty you can create. Once you've experienced it, you will never go back. Take it from me, it keeps you healthy with no stress or physical fatigue. Living in the moment even helps you feel and look younger than you are. Seize The Moment and enjoy the journey.

The Truth
All Rights Reserved by Airtight Productions 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment